RECIPE : Lemon Meringue Layer Cake
A sweet dessert idea with a tart twist for your next dinner party. Hint: They’re so easy to make ahead of time, they’ll take the stress out of entertaining.
Watch our Minute Masterclass video to learn how to easily prepare this dish.
- 4 eggs, plus 2 extra egg whites
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 125g butter, chopped
- Zest of 1 finely grated lemon
- Preheat oven 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 24 x 32 cm Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- Beat eggs and 3/4 cup sugar together for 5-6 minutes until thick. Fold in sifted combined flours.
- To make the lemon curd, place a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water and whisk eggs and sugar together for 1-2 minutes. Stir in juice, butter and zest. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring, until it coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil.
- Cut 12 rounds from cake to fit six 220ml clear jars or glasses. Place one in each jar. Top with a layer of curd. Repeat then put in the fridge to chill.
- Beat the extra egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and glossy. Beat in vanilla.
- Preheat grill on high. Pipe meringue onto cake. Grill for 30-60 seconds until lightly golden.
Makes 6 | Prep time: 45 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes